Friday, February 25, 2011

Single Mother Woes

I took Reggie to Columbus speech and hearing center today. He was getting evaluated by the speech therapist to see if he needs help with his talking. It was an excruciating hour. Getting my son to sit down and pay attention is like pulling fingernails off one by one. Not the painful part but the slow part. My son can't sit still even if his very life depended on it. It's mine and his father's fault he got the ADHD. That's another story. So anyways I was completely amazed at how patient she was in dealing with Reggie. I would give my left titty to have that kind of patience. Reggie kept on standing up and trying to grab at different toys. She just stuck with it and gave him little breaks. I hope he will have teachers that patient when he goes to school.
That probably wont happen. I remember what my teachers where like.

He had to look at various pictures and say what they where and she looked at how he was saying the words. She didn't even try to do the second test. She knew he wasn't going to make it. So afterwards he gets to play with whatever toys and she scores his test. Of course he needed it. He can say the words but she wasn't sure if he was connecting the words to their meaning. As far as sentences she said he was like 25% intelligible. I believe that. One day it took me five minutes for me to understand that he was asking for yogurt. I'm for real. There are a whole lot of times I have no idea what my son is trying to tell me. I be like o.k. baby now move out from in front of the t.v.

Then she starts discussing about the therapy sessions. They are only 30 minutes long. That ain't to bad. Then she tells me one of the worst things you can tell a single mother who works a minimum wage hourly position. He needs to come twice a week. TWICE A WEEK!!!! What is the big deal? Well for starters the anxiety I instantly feel about having to go to my boss to ask her to give me time twice a week to take him. I asked if it had to be me that brought him. They said no so that helps allot. I could have mom or grandma take him. I talked to my boss and she immediately started in about how she wouldn't be able to do it every week or whatever. I didn't get upset because I knew she could always count on me and I always make it work even if it seems impossible. When it comes to work I get there no matter what. It takes an act of congress to keep from going. So she gave me two days out of the week and a time that I could give them to make the appointments.

Now all I have to worry about is if it's going to cut into my hours. I already don't get that many hours. I'm just making it. I get enough hours to pay the bills. I know awesome right. It's times like these that I hate being a single parent because I feel like I'm ripping my kids off. They deserve a mother and father who is there for them. They deserve to have whatever they need or want. I can't always do that. I know that I have to do the best I can for them. I will show them and tell them everyday how much I love them. I wish I could give them the world. As a mom who has to do what's right for my kids I'm just going to have to suck it up and make it work. I will too. I'm lucky to have a strong family support system.

For all those single women out there taking care of your kids on your own with no family support I commend you. I have no idea how I would of made it. You are a very strong women and should tell yourself that everyday as you look in the mirror getting ready. YOU ARE AMAZING!!! Don't ever forget that. You give me hope. A good mother does what she can's for her kids. That is exactly what I'm going to do and whatever happens I will make it work. All that matters is that my boys receives whatever care he needs to be successful in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment